7.10.07

Day 2 Center for Documentary Studies

This is the second day of the workshop at the CDS in Durham. Yesterday we experimented with the "interview" today we moved into digital photography. The interviewong process was very difficult at first. We were paired (this is a small and intimate group) with people who were VERY different from us. I was VERY uncomfortable talking to a complete stranger about my personal life. But we worked with the same partner today and the process of photographing one another was slightly less uncomfortable. Aside from feeling completely exposed to a group of people i didn't know, i walked away today new ideas about piece for my personal work and revealed that i am a very capable photo documentarian (but by no means an expert). I took some great picture of my partner, Marty (a tribal planner for the Haliwa-Saponi Native American tribe, also a song maker and an expert in his native language, and all this at 31). HE also took some very interesting photos of me. We framed eachother as artists, so the pictures were about the work we make. I've posted several of the photos Marty took of me on myspace. www.myspace/thegoodchild.com.

Tomorrow we venture into audio land with new partners. My new partner works in the social justice activism field and seems to be such a multi-talented and warm person. I'm looking forward to working with her. We've already established a mutual love for music.
Again, this is an element i have been interested in incorperating into my visual work. And since a lot of the work i create stems from "collecting" and "repeating" and pattern and family and personal history, this just seems like a natural progression.

I hope to have a complete audio piece to post on the internet by tomorrow evening.

Now... I MUST get some sleep. More soon. xo

No comments: